Magazine Cover Assignment



          For this assignment, we were to create our own magazine cover with our new understanding of design principles and how to use them to our benefit. For my magazine cover, I chose to use the topic of musical theatre. I chose this topic because I feel that it is what I care about the most and I would have the most ideas for creating it. Considering the design principles, I feel that I was able to capture most of them relatively well! For example, I created a balance in the magazine cover by positioning the main subject of the cover to one side of the image and left all of the text to the other side of the image. This allows for their to be a focus to the center of the image rather than a distraction on either side that is more appealing than the other. 

          I covered the design principle of Rhythm/Repetition with the use of symmetry on the cover. I used equal amounts of media on either side, with a full image on one and full text on the other. This pattern can also be observed with the text I used on the cover. All of the large text is kept at the top of the magazine (title) and any important information is kept in the two blue boxes. This allows for the important points to be spread out and easily viewed. I feel that this design principles was one of the more difficult ones to use, however it ended up working out into a cohesive piece that I feel fits this principle quite well. 

           The design principle of Emphasis/Alignment is covered with the fact that the image of Ben Platt is positioned on one side of the cover, and the text is aligned on the other half. This allows for both the text and the image to be focused on equally. Although there is a lot of text, it is not distracting because of this balance. The title is also quite bold and stands out very strongly among the rest of the elements. I feel that this principle also ties into the previous two, because the same action can be used to fit all of the descriptions of the principles (the use of symmetry in the cover). 

          Finally, with the design principle of Unit/Proximity, the images and text that were used are all relatively cohesive of each other, and none of the colors used are distracting from anything else. The image of Ben Platt is position on the opposite side of the cover to the text, creating a balance between the elements. I feel that there is a good balance of fonts used on the cover, and although there is a good amount, they are not used in a distracting manner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Copyright

Creating Sound Effects